Tuesday, March 25, 2008



Still not my puppy, but adorable ears nonetheless. ;-)

Everything went great! We were up at 5:30am and there for 7am - it's 10:30am now and we're home - Christopher is having a snooze upstairs; he's still a bit tired.

The ladies in day surgery were wonderful - they listened when I explained his issues and they had no problem with me taking him into the operating room myself (there's no way he'd go with someone he doesn't know). They had me wear an absolutely ridiculous looking hat, coat, and shoe covers LOL ... and since he refused to lay on the table, they had us sit in a chair and they put the mask on him that way. He fussed, but I sang to him and he was out like a light in a matter of seconds, it seemed. Boy does that stuff stink though - he tried to shove the mask off once and I got a whiff of it, yuck!

It only took them a short time to get the tubes out and clean his ears up inside, then he was out to the recovery room and awake very soon after.

The ENT wants to see him again in May - they'll decide then whether he needs a new set of tubes, I guess.

The one thing he keeps telling me is that "the mask is stinky" LOL ...yep, it sure was!

6 comments:

Dawn said...

Glad to hear it went so well and you had such a good team to work with! That really does make all the difference.

PJ said...

It's so gratifying when hospital staff are sensitive to children's issues. They did that with my granddaughter. She walked in, sat down and looked around before donning the mask and .... out like a light. So much better than when my kids were little.

Mrs. Darling said...

OH my son hates the smell of those masks. His dentist actually has them that are rootbeer and chocolate and bubble gum smelling to put them under in ease!

Glad to hear it went well.

molytail said...

Dawn --> oh it really does (make all the difference), for sure. We've had some not-so-great experiences before and although I hate to be a pessimist, I tend to expect more of those...very pleased to have found the opposite with this! :-)

Pj -- Hello! *waves* Yep, it is - glad to hear that your grandaughter had a good experience too! (well, as "good" as any surgical procedure can be!)

Mrs. Darling -- I actually heard about the possibility after... I don't know if they just don't offer that here or if they never thought to mention it, or what... I'm going to ask about it if we have a 'next time' though - chocolate would definitely smell better than this did! :-)

Jacqueline said...

Good to hear that they were so understanding of his need for your comfort. What a neat memory you made for the two of you!

I just discovered your blog thanks to Dawn and her suggestion on her blog that you participate in the Carnival of Canadian Home Educating Bloggers. I sure hope you do. I also just rediscovered the Canadian Homeschooler's Board. Thank you for making it possible.

molytail said...

Jacqueline -- Hi there! Yes, I don't think he'll ever forget it ---- though whether it's us together or, as he still keeps talking about a week later, "that stinky mask!" LOL

I went to peek at Dawn's post because I wasn't sure what you meant - hadn't seen that yet - and wow .. I've never done a carnival post before... A Canadian hs'er carnival sounds awesome though, so I'll see what I can do! :-)

Glad you re-found the board! It's pretty much the only all-Canadian one that I've come across...so far anyway! There's a few yahoo groups, but I prefer forums over those..Actually, you just reminded me - I was going to add a section to the side for the yahoo groups..