Saturday, March 22, 2008

Bunnies and guys with white beards



That's Cindy, visiting with the bearded guy himself, back in December. The next time a photo like that is taken, she'll be wearing a sneaky grin..... We, as her parents, have been officially busted.

Yep, she figured it out. Santa, the Easter Bunny, the Tooth Fairy, the works.

She came to me today and told me that she thinks it's really us, and asked for the truth - prior to this, she's dropped a few bits of conversation, more along the lines of "I wonder how ______ gets around the entire world in one night. That would be kinda hard!" and stuff like that, but she's never come with the seriousness she had today, asking for "the real truth", with an extremely suspicious look on her face.

So, I answered her honestly - and she replied with "yeah that's what I thought." and started laughing ---- then you could see a light go on and she says "So it was YOU GUYS who gave me all those presents!! THANK YOU!!!!" and grinned from ear to ear.


I was worried that she'd be upset, but she said that she kinda figured as much and that she was glad I told her the truth, and that it's "exciting" because now she can "help play the game with Christopher!" .......

But....



......



.... dang, couldn't she have waited until tomorrow? It's Easter-eve! LOL


Ah well. They all grow up sometime. *sniff sniff*



(Edited to add: I realize that there are many around who don't do the game of Santa, Easter Bunny, and such, with their kids... and I do actually understand why - especially with everything I've learned in the past year. But we'd been 'doing' those characters since the kids were little and I figured Cindy's time was coming soon enough that she would figure it out for herself.. I have to go do a little research because I told her what I knew of the original St. Nicholas and she asked for more info and also asked where the story of the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy came from...those two, I haven't a clue. Google time.)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know about the tooth fairy but the bunny is a northern fertility symbol & I do know the hare was sacred to the Celts. Which doesn't help, does it? lol. If you actually find out let us know. :)

T said...

Oh wow I thought my dd11 was the only kid her age that still believed in Santa! So far she knows there is no tooth fairy and last night we had the Easter Bunny talk. I do not want to have the Santa talk but I know it will happen either this year or next for sure. Well I am glad Cindy didn't get upset. I am dreading Samantha will be in tears!

Mrs. Darling said...

Even though I dont teach the kids aboaut santa and the easter bummy and such Peter is young enough to be confuese by it all still. Sometimes he thinks it isnt true and sometimes hes unsure. Tink resolved in her mind at about 4 years old that they weren't real and has never wavered! LOL

molytail said...

Ganeida - sure it does! I read a bit about that, actually. Along with the tooth fairy apparently having possibly come from a story of a mouse... I got distracted and have to go back to the links and read that again....

Tiffany - yeah I'm a bit surprised that Cindy didn't catch it sooner, mainly because I know there's some younger ones in the neighbourhood that already know... I hope Samantha doesn't get too upset! I know I did.. I was 10 when my stepmother told me and I was so sad...I still remember that! I was glad Cindy wasn't - she's more excited to be "in on the secret" ...

Mrs. Darling - perfect typo, I love it...I'm never gonna be able to think of it again without going "Easter Bummmy" in my head! *grin* ....and yeah, I think that even if a family doesn't go with the characters, it can still be confusing for the kids if many of their peers do... But oh my, such determination at only 4! LOL