
Miss Cinders and I had finished with the Little House on the Prairie book as our read-aloud and the plan was to start "The Incredible Journey" ...well, after reading the first chapter, we've changed books. I should have sat down and read the first chapter myself - I've read the book, but it was a long time ago - because I'd have realised that it wasn't going to work right now. Cindy was listening, but it became pretty obvious that most of what I was reading was going right over her head and she was b.o.r.e.d. I stopped, and asked her if she was understanding it and she wrinkled her nose and said "Not really."
It's hard enough to get this child engaged in a book - the last thing I want to do is bore her by reading something that she's not understanding. For some kids, this book wouldn't be difficult at all, whether they were reading it themselves or having it read to them.. for her, it was. The Incredible Journey went back onto the shelf for some other time down the road.
So, we've changed over to Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. I have an old hardcover edition that I picked up at a used book sale and I read a few paragraphs from the first chapter and she perked up - I asked her if she liked this better, was she understanding what she was hearing, and she said "Yep!" ... much better. :-)
4 comments:
Wow! I'm having trouble keeping up with you. Yeah, the Incredible Journey is incredibly boring. I was bored, Ditz hated it, we chucked it for something waaay more interesting.
Love the purple, glad Max is doing better & I laughed so hard about the hammer. Sorta daft thing I'd do. lol.
Heh, yeah I've been babbling away in here LOL
See, I'd picked that book out because she loves animals, and she's watched the 1993(ish) version of the movie and I thought that I remembered reading it and liking it as a kid....but now I'm wondering if I really did or not...hmmm.
I know she'll enjoy Alice though! :-)
Max is still doing well, though coordinating the feeding of five kitties has sure become awkward..but he's back to his usual self and he actually LIKES the special food - the vet says that many cats don't..good that he does.
Yeah that sort of hammer stuff is classic me. *redface* Blair saw that and said something on the phone to the effect of "well DUH." :-P
Um, I've tagged you for 8 things we don't know about you meme. Spill your deepest, darkest secrets. Sorry but I don't know many bloggers to hit on so you're it.
I LOVE that book!! We actually just finished it back in February. We were supposed to read Kim by Rudyard Kipling last year but the same thing happened. I read chapter 1 outloud and we were both just bored beyond belief. We tossed it quick. Gotta love homeschooling!
Post a Comment