Here's what it says:
1. List (at least) five things to do for free in your city or town, not just well publicized touristy things, but things YOU might do too!
2. Write it with a visitor in mind.
3. Tag three people* - extra fun if they live somewhere you'd like to know better or
4. If you're anonymous/coy about where you live, choose another town or city that you know.
Prince Edward Island is overflowing with tourist attractions - tourism being one of the top three industries here. The head count during the summer gets a wee bit ridiculous at times.
But what if you never care to see red braids again, aren't inclined to plan your vacation around a history lesson, and haven't got the stomach to handle hours of deep sea fishing?
1. Confederation Trail - sorry, they've got a terrible habit here of putting "Confederation" into everything! Anyway - some 300km of old train tracks have been turned into a maintained trail...for walking, running, biking, horseback riding, etc - or in the winter, snowmobiling on the groomed surface (paid for by snowmobiler's fees, far as I know) ..I was going to mention skiing, as I've seen some cross country skiers on the trail, but I don't think you're actually meant to do that - I'm pretty sure the trails are restricted to snowmobilers in the winter for safety....In the summer, there are some very pretty parts of the trail - just remember to wear some bug spray because the mosquitoes are fond of it too.
2. The Veterans Memorial Park - ha, I hope I have the name right. It's the park in town here with the old cannons and the monument filled with carved names... *and* they've got a very cool water spray thing built there now - water shoots out of the ground in five or six areas and goes up in the air in an arc, making rainbows if the light is just right and making a wonderful play spot for the kids. Okay, and the grownups too if you aren't afraid to get wet! (It's cold though - and I mean ICE COLD, brrr!)
3. Beaches - anywhere but Cavendish. Yes, that's the famous one that everyone's heard of - but it's also always crowded and they charge you an arm and a leg to get your family in there as it's a national park or whatever. I've been there once years ago with my cousin - haven't got the slightest inclination to go back. However, we have a lot of other beaches -- ones that are FREE and a lot less crowded! - scattered across the island....a favourite of ours is only minutes from town and usually pretty empty, since it's really a 'shore' versus a 'beach' and tends to require a bit of climbing through piles of seaweed to get in for a swim -- but I much prefer that to beaches so crowded you can't lay a blanket down. There's some playground equipment if the kids get tired of the water - which rarely happens - and there's lots of grass space for playing frisbee or tag. The piles of seaweed make for the BEST seaweed flinging fights! The one thing there *isn't* is a lot of shade, so if you need that at the beach (some are bothered by the heat more than others) you'd best bring one of those big umbrellas. We even like this beach when the tide is out - you can walk waaaaaaaay out in the mud and find all manner of interesting things.
4. I could send you up to elephant rock....unfortunately, the elephant lost his trunk the other year and now it's just a very cool looking giant rock. Still a beautiful place to go - the cliffs are pretty awesome, just be careful near the edges!


5. Wait for winter - then come play in the snow! Seriously. Snow & ice carving contests, various winter festivals, sleigh rides, snowmobiling, skating & skiing - okay, so our ski "hill" is sorta lame - what did you expect from a flat island?? *grin* .... Winter rocks. Cold noses & hot chocolate, lopsided snowmen with parsnip noses, icicle pops snagged from the tree out front, homemade snowcones with just a little too much koolaid....
Okay....I'll leave this untagged and whoever would like to do it can go ahead...
4 comments:
I had to have a serious laugh about the elephant. South Australia has/had 12 big rock sitting off the coast. Aptly named 'em the 12 apostles. Unfortunately one crumbled into the sea a while back so now the 12 apostles are only 11. I have enough trouble with math without this!
Oops. If you go googling the apostles are under Victorian jurisdiction. I had the Great Ocean Road but apparrently moved it too far west. Frankly, they're bang, plonk in an ocean so you know, whatever, but just in case you know, I thought I'd better clarify that one.
Thanks for playing!
I enjoyed learning about PEI and some of the attractions. I did not realize PEI doesn't have any trains (NL doesn't either).
I love PEI....I've only visited a few times, but everytime we've had great weather. The last 2 or 3 times we stayed in a park called Holiday Haven....hmmm...down on the southern central part -- near Charlottetown.
Frankly, they're bang, plonk in an ocean so you know, whatever
This made me ---> :-D *grin* ...and I'm quite amused with your 11 apostles LOL
I did not realize PEI doesn't have any trains
Yep, we're trainless - I vaguely remember seeing them here...I didn't grow up with my mother here, but I think when I came to visit at 11 years old, there were still trains... Not for long though. The old train station in town is the public library now. :-)
Post a Comment