Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Can I remove the repeat button?

Christopher gets 'attached' to songs - by 'attached', I mean the song-of-the-moment must be played over and over and over in the house, in the car, wherever, until it has seared itself into my brain. This song attachment *is* useful as a motivator to have him on his "best behaviour" - ie, if we get through this boring-as-mud-to-him grocery trip without any pulling of Cindy's hair, digging his nails into the back of my hands or kissing of the dirty shopping cart handle {he's currently fond of showing affection to inanimate objects - yes, kiss your dresser at home if you like. No, the shoe store floor is GROSS!}, then we'll play "your CD" - which means hitting the repeat button. Forever.

There is no rhyme or reason to the songs that catch him - or if there is, it's not obvious to my very unmusical ears.

Some of his past attachments....

When I'm Up (Great Big Sea)



Thank God I'm a Country Boy (John Denver)




The Power of Your Love is Changing Me (this is the only vid I could find with this song - Christopher heard it on a "Kid's Worship Songs" CD...this is a choir of some sort)



Summer of 69 (Bryan Adams)




Days of Elijah (Hillsong version)



(which worked out really well for music camp)


I'm Gonna Fly (Paul Brandt)

* this is NOT Paul Brandt, obviously. There is no video for this song - and not much on youtube. A few live videos with horrible quality, a weird montage of angels that wasn't embeddable, and...this. Don't ask, I have no idea. You can hear the song clearly though and that's what I wanted.




Now - would you like to know what his *current* attached song is? The one that is on repeat right now, upstairs in his bedroom? The one that is driving me stark raving mad even though I loved it as a kid?



MmmHmm. Tiffany - I Think We're Alone Now.


Told ya there seems to be no rhyme or reason to the songs he picks up on. They might be Christian, Rock, Country, kids tunes, whatever - he hears them and grabs the ones that appeal to him for whatever reason. This played in my mixed list on the computer the other day and -boom- he was all over it.

They're *usually* upbeat songs - that "Power of Your Love" song was a bit outside of what he usually likes, being a much slower sort of thing... I remember wondering why he'd grabbed onto that...

Once he gets a song of 'his', he has all the words memorized within a few listenings. If you play him a different version (a mix, a cover, etc), he gets mad - "That's not right!!" ...doesn't miss a trick. ;-)

3 comments:

Mrs. Darling said...

Hey I love Im gonna fly and country boy! Good choice in music!

molytail said...

I love....errr.... lovED them too. Until I heard them a bazillion times LOL. *grin*

At Home on the Rock... said...

LOL --- Well...at least he has great taste in music!!