Thursday, April 10, 2008

Read Alouds




Hah, "read aloud" always looks awkward to me - just the way the words sit together...

Cindy and I finished with Alice's Adventures in Wonderland - she loved it! :-) - reading aloud isn't something that we've done a lot of prior to this year (well, not since she was 'little' anyway) so I'm glad she's enjoying it... and I am too!

The one we have now is pictured in my sidebar thinger - it's a selection of short stories about several Canadian pioneers (obviously, from the title LOL)...I found this on the library's used book sale table - it's apparently part of a collection, but this was the only one there. (I didn't know if she'd be all that interested, but when I showed her, she paged through it a bit and said 'sure'.)

Speaking of reading - the other day, my reluctant reader comes running through the living room, grabs a book in one hand, tucks a cat under the other, and says to the cat "Let's go read!" :-o

I don't think Toby (the cat) was all that impressed with the subject - "Caring for a new puppy" LOL - but she can read books about nosehairs to her big toe if she likes! She chose the book herself and went off to read willingly. No encouragement, no "it's silent reading time" nada... SHE chose to go read in her free time. This is not a common occurrence here, so humour me in my YAYs. *grin*

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I do know this. Ditz reads VERY well but it is never her first activity of choice. Not even her 2nd or 3rd. She'd rather sit next to me & drive me completely bonkers by singing at me & asking me to tell her how great it sounds. As she constantly tells me I have no ear, how would I know?

Jacqueline said...

I love read alouds!

Mrs. Darling said...

Tink never wants to read! Cherish the moment!

T said...

Our last read aloud was Alice's Adventures in Wonderland! We think alike yes? We aren't doing anything aloud now but Samantha is doing plenty of private reading. She has found Nancy Drew mystery books to be to her liking lately and is devouring them.

molytail said...

Ganeida --> I have no ear and no voice LOL ..Cindy loves to sing and she laughs her tail off at me when I try - I have no ability to sing what.so.ever. I can listen to exactly the notes she sings and try to copy and it's a mess LOL

jaqueline --> Same here! We're enjoying this quite a bit. :-)

mrs.darling --> Oh I am! And I did read your comment and suggestion for that Mr. Falkner book - checked out your sidebar and found the tag, read it..wow. I'm definitely going to check out library for that book.

molytail said...

Oops, missed yours, Tiffany! That's cool that we were reading aloud the same book! *grin* ...I remember reading the Nancy Drew books as a kid - the old hardcover ones, and the "files" paperback ones...I suppose they likely have new ones now... :-)