Tuesday, April 15, 2008

First Sewing Project

Miss Cinders has been bitten by the sewing bug. This is fantastic - it's a wonderful skill to learn......Thing is, I can't sew beyond some very VERY basic stuff. Like the drawstring bag that she wanted to make - it worked well because I *did* know what to do....but now she wants to make a dress! Aye.

Fortunately, I have sewers in my family. :-) ... My mother sews, my good friend Diane sews, my Meme sews -- they've all been sewing for years and have lots of experience making a variety of things, from quilts to curtains to pj pants and more. We'll get them involved and see what they can teach us together! :-)

Which reminded me of what Dawn said the other day in her post titled "Homeschooling without a College Degree"...

2) If I need a teacher for my child who has mastery over a subject, I can find one. Homeschooling does not mean the parent simply steps into the role of teacher. More often we're facilitators and coordinators. My daughter has an interest in calculus? I know a college prof who adores calculus (not to mention how her eyes light up when quantum physics is mentioned). My son wants to pursue microbiology? I believe there's an uncle on my husband's side. Either one interested in tearing down an engine or the principles of flight? I have a dad and two brothers who are aircraft engineers. I had a friend whose 12 year old son had a passion for geology. She found a local professor, had her son write him a letter and voila! Her son now has a mentor on the subject.

(Dawn, I did try to put you inside a nice neat little 'quote box' but I couldn't get any attempted codes to work)

I quite agree - if subject matter comes along in which the parent isn't very skilled, assistance can be sought out! :-)

Many homeschoolers are doing this all the time - I don't know of many mothers who are teaching their child everything themselves. Their children go out for swimming lessons or art classes, they sing in choirs ensembles & play violins, they go to karate or gymnastics, they join co-ops that sometimes have all sorts of activities on the go, and so on and so on....you get the idea. :-)

Anyhow - here's the little rascal sewing her very first thing...it's a drawstring bag that she'll use for carrying a stuffed toy or a book or whatever she likes.

(This is Diane's machine, at her house. We snuck in. Nah, I have a key.)




The photo of the finished bag turned out all wonky, so I'll take one of her with it later. It's cute, I might just make one for myself! :-)

4 comments:

Jacqueline said...

Maybe you'll get bitten by the sewing bug and you and Miss Cinders will end up learning lots together. That's another great thing that happens in homeschooling. :)

T said...

Oh I wish I wish I wish I could sew! I have thought that perhaps Samantha and I could learn to knit together or something. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Anonymous said...

I can sew the basics but my mum is really good & a perfectionist & working with her was a nightmare so I sorta lost interest & never taught my own girls. Great job!

Hey, tell miss Cinders that we are working on getting a parcel back to her. We haven't forgotten. Ditz actually wrote a letter straight away but I'm the fly in the ointment as we have to get to the shop that does things like tiny koalas & kangaroos & stuff.

molytail said...

jacqueline --> I'm actually feeling a bit thread-happy myself - I'm always frustrated when it comes to clothing shopping, so perhaps I can learn with her and start making my own LOL

tiffany --> If I could knit, I'd make the biggest fluffiest pair of rainbow mittens EVER. :-)

ganeida --> yeah my mother is like that as well - though I've noticed that she's mellowed out a bit..she's got much more patience for my kids than she did for me LOL ..and no worries! <3