Saturday, April 5, 2008

In her own words



I've been reading a lot of entries for Home Education Week and while I haven't done them myself, I saw the one titled "In their Words" and thought that Cindy might enjoy that. :-)

Dana wrote: Share your children’s home education experience in their own words. What have they said about their education? What are their likes and dislikes? Share some stories, some quotes, or turn your blog over to your children for the day.

I gave Miss Cinders the keyboard and asked her to write what she thought about homeschooling - below is her text, yes she likes smileys and exclamation marks LOL


I like homeschooling!
i like homeschooling better than my old school because when i'm homeschooled i don't have to feel dumb when i ask a question.

i like homescooling also because well..... IT'S JUST REALLY FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-):-) :-) :-);-);-);-);-);-);-);-);-);-);-);-);-);-);-);-);-);-);-);-);-);-)



I know what she's talking about there - we've had several long conversations about it... she'd given up asking questions in class because of being responded to with impatience by the teachers and ridicule by the other children. When it became obvious from her marks that she wasn't understanding, they tossed her into the 'resource class' - this was part dumping ground and part zoo, the "dumb kids room" (those are not my words - it's what the other children often called it) .....she'd go off to that class every day for an hour and sit there, doodling in her notebook and feeling stupid. If she wasn't doodling, she was acting out and getting sent to the "quiet room" to fill out another of those pointless "personal reflection forms". (Don't ask)

Thinking about that makes me very angry - not just at the situation, but also at myself for allowing it to go on for as long as it did. I didn't know how bad it had gotten for her, but I know that I also wasn't looking as hard as I should have been. I can't change that though - I can't unwind the string and go back.... but what I can do is what I've set out to do through homeschooling - provide her with an educational environment that encourages her, one that works with her strengths and her style of learning, where she can grow and discover what a beautiful, intelligent, and wonderful young lady she is.





4 comments:

At Home on the Rock... said...

I hear ya!

My daughter went out to *those* classes too. Everyone knew only the 'stupid' kids went out for those (her words, not mine). She would tell me, "I'm the stupidest girl in the whole school." The more classes she went to, the further behind she fell and the worse she felt about herself. Heart breaking!

We found the same as you --- homeschooling has allowed her self-confidence to increase and she's discovered she does have good qualities.

That's great your dd likes homeschooling. I love hearing success stories like this.

~~Linda (from CHB)

Anonymous said...

lol. This is the bit Ditz doesn't get having been *spoilt* by hmeschooling all her life. She's never ever been allowed to feel *dumb* for not getting something, only told some things require more work ~ so I've *tortured* her instead. mwhahaha. Small things, you know...

Mrs. Darling said...

Bless her heart.

The kids called my daughter stupid and cuckoo. She used to hide at school so the kids couldnt bug her.

Thanks for the encouragemnt on my blog. I did indeed see your comment on Homeschooling the child with special needs. Thankyou so much. Its so nice to know we're not alone.

I dont know if you would be interested or not but there is a link on my sidebar under lables. called, Thank you Mr Falker. Its Tinks reaction to that book. Its amazing. You might want to read that book to your daughter if you havent yet. Tinks reaction left me spellbound and in tears. But there, I wont give it away. You can read for yourself.

T said...

I think I need to have Samantha write somehting like that. I'd love to see what she'd write.