Friday, June 6, 2008

Volcano!

Miss Cinders built herself a volcano yesterday - it's salt-dough with a plastic water bottle inside and rocks all around, all sitting on a cookie tray - and had a lot of fun with it this morning... OUTSIDE,as I suspected this might get a bit messy. ;-)





^^ First, she put some warm water in....



^^ then, some food colour (actually, she put all the colours in at first...)



^^ ...and some dish soap....




^^ ...then the baking soda...




^^ ..in went some vinegar and out came some odd coloured lava LOL




...more vinegar, more odd coloured lava...


...she decided that greyish lava just didn't cut it and went to work fixing that.......










(pretty awesome colours eh?)




Cleaning it up was super easy outside - she just hosed it down LOL (this wasn't one to keep - the dough hadn't even dried and now it was not only wet, but ready to stain anything and anyone who came near! *grin* )

She wants to make one that actually 'explodes' now though - not just bubbling up and overflowing...I'm going to hunt around online and see if I can find anything, but if anyone has done that - I'm all ears! :-)

7 comments:

At Home on the Rock... said...

Now that's my kind of lava -- love the colours!

Anonymous said...

Ah, yes, this is a favourite all round the world. Ditz used clay around a beer bottle someone had chucked on the road. It was impressive & beautifully decorated before the *reuption*.

molytail said...

Jacqueline --> oh very much! :-)

Linda --> the food colour was actually the "neon" stuff; I've never seen that until we were going to get some...

Ganeida --> Cindy didn't have the patience to decorate this one too much - she just wanted it done so she could erupt it LOL

Dawn said...

What purpose does the dish soap serve? Harry likes to play with baking soda and vinegar quite often but Içe never added soap to the mix.

molytail said...

Dawn --> it was part of the 'recipe' we were following and I'm assuming it was just to enhance the 'foamy' of the lava, know what I mean? :-)

Mrs. Darling said...

I have no idea how to make avocano erupt. The project looks like fun though.
Thanks for your support during this time with my dad.

T said...

That is awesome!!!