Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Meeting other homeschoolers

Monday, Cindy & I had the opportunity to meet a family of homeschoolers from Quebec! I'd spoken with the lady a few times on the WTM board (we're not classical - I just hang out there some) and she'd told me that they were coming to the island (camping) because of the 100 years celebration of Anne that's on this summer - so, we arranged to meet up on Monday for a bit and let the kids play together.....they had a great time - running all over the boardwalk, up and down the lighthouse, playing in hammocks, and all sorts of kid fun. The mom and I chattered about homeschooling regulations (here versus Quebec - boy am I glad we live here!), our 'stories' on how we came to this educational choice, the kids themselves, and all sorts of other stuff....we headed for subway to have lunch after that, then they had to take off as they were meeting someone across in Nova Scotia by a specific time that afternoon.

Unfortunately, I only have one picture of the kids together - My batteries were nearly toast & we (their mother and I) were so busy yapping...she might have gotten a couple that I didn't...I think she snapped a few near the playground... We'll see later!

Meanwhile, here's the kids together - these hammocks are for sale down at the boardwalk and are an instant kid attraction... I guess the way that they stand up to all the kids who play on them is a bit of advertising for the company - "Our hammocks are tough!" LOL



Her son is 10 and her daughter is 7 - both of them were very adorable kids and Cindy says that if they ever come back to the island, she wants to get together again...they traded Webkinz id's so they could add each other to their friends lists on there as well.


Miss Cinders is also quite happy these days because she has a new-to-her-bike.. last year's bike wasn't in very good shape (it had been second hand as well) and didn't fit right....this one is perfect. The seat and handlebars are all the way down (nearly), so she should be able to get a couple of summers out of it before it doesn't fit anymore.... Many thanks to our lovely friend Diane, who gave this to Cindy - we dug it out of their garage the other day and it hardly needed any TLC at all...just a little oil and spray and it was ready. :-)



Speaking of bikes...



Ain't she pretty? *grin* ....it's 44 years old...I rescued it from a shop a few years ago - it was just sitting there gathering dust - and every summer I bring it out to ride, much to the amusement of the neighbourhood kids. (Those purple streamers are ugly though - I stuck them on there the other year, but they're just cheezy dollar store ones...I'd be tickled if I could find an old set of the rainbow plastic strip ones, but no luck there yet.)

I *do* have another bike - a regular old boring grownup bike - that has Christopher's child seat on the back, but that's just "a bike" ...this.. this is My Bike. There's a difference. :-P

4 comments:

Jacqueline said...

LOL! That's some bike!

So, did you tell this Quebec homeschooler about the Canadian Homeschoolers Blog Carnival? And did you tell her to tell all her friends, especially the Quebec ones? :) We're in dire need of invitations to visit with Quebec homeschoolers for the blog carnival ya know. :)

molytail said...

Yeah it's a sweet bike. *grin*

I'll tell her via pm on the board - I'm not sure if she has a blog or not (it never came up and she doesn't have a link in her sig there)....but I'll definitely mention it! :-)

At Home on the Rock... said...

Sound like a great day --- I always enjoy meeting other homeschooling families.

Love Cindy's new bike too :0)

Anonymous said...

lol. I remember these bikes. And lady, I keep telling you you live on the wrong island. I'll see if I can find some of the rainbow streamers for you. I know I've seen 'em round....