Thursday, July 31, 2008

Creating a morning person...

Mornings here usually go a bit like this: I get up around 5 or 6am, go into Christopher's room and turn on his music for him (he has a cd player with some cds I made of his fave tunes), wander downstairs to make my coffee, take it out on the step for a bit, come in and muck around online a little, start laundry, etc... while Miss Cinders is snoring away - if she had it her way, she'd sleep clear through to 9am or later, sleepyhead that she is.

This morning, after turning on Christopher's tunes, I went in her room - turned her clock around so she couldn't see the numbers, and woke her up as if it was later....heh, she near clobbered me when she turned the clock and saw that it was actually 6:10am. *grin* ....After digging her out from under her blankets, I convinced her to get up and come outside for a coffee with me - well, the intention was to make her a hot chocolate, but we discovered there wasn't any left, so I made her a kid-coffee.... way more french vanilla cream than coffee, several heaping spoonfuls of sugar. ;-) (my attempt at making it somewhat palatable for 11 year old tastebuds)

[Note: I don't encourage the consumption of coffee for kids, so don't blast me LOL ..in the absence of the hot chocolate, I had to make *something* hot in a mug]

[she didn't really like it that much as it turned out - but she was tickled at the idea]

I took her outside on the back step to show her why I like to be up at early hours..



Sure, I don't have the field or ocean view that I'd like (yet) and there's a lot of houses in the way, but you can still watch the sun come up. :-)



And admire the pretty dew on the grass. :-) ...She asked me if it had rained last night and I said no, explaining what dew is.



She thought the sun was very pretty, the dew was "cool", and the slugs (sorry, no photo LOL) that were on the path were "YUCK!" (I thought they were pretty cool looking myself - and smart. When I slid a leaf under one to lift it, he curled himself into a safe little ball.)

Perhaps if I pick up some more (better tasting to her) hot chocolate and skip pointing out the slugs, I just might be able to create a little morning person....maybe. She still looks half asleep on the couch beside me and it's a bit past 8am now.

2 comments:

At Home on the Rock... said...

hee hee...I couldn't agree with you more. The morning *is* the best time of the day for exactly the reasons you have listed. I absolutely love the early morning.

Hopefully, Cindy will come to appreciate it.....even if it does takes a bit of time ;) (grin...)

Beautiful pictures by the way....love the sunrise!

Anonymous said...

Good luck. Ditz has tried being a morning person 'cause she thought she was missing oyt with all the rest of us ip but getting up early just makes her grummpy. No fun for anyone. lol.