Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Another year...

We've now got two kids in the double digits! Where oh where has the time gone....




Christopher turned 10 years old last week - he's laughing in the picture because we started singing "Happy Birthday" to him and HE started singing with us, to which Cindy said "Christopher! You don't sing too!!" --- he thought that was hilarious. :-)

We don't really do big parties here - birthdays usually mean that the birthday child chooses whatever they want for supper that night and we have Norm & Diane over (in this case, just Diane since Norm is out west) ...Christopher chose baked chicken, sweet potatoes, and peas for his birthday supper - this is definitely a kid who prefers "real food" over the typical kid-loved junky stuff like fast food. Yay! LOL

My mother gave him a new snowsuit for his birthday - something he'll definitely be needing out in northern Alberta! Diane took him out shopping with her and he chose some fuzzy pants and a cool two-in-one shirt thing...Cindy and I got him some new cds - one of which is playing right now on his cd player...songs about the times tables...and others that had various kids songs on them. Presents had to be fairly "packable" since we're reducing the whole house to six suitcases!


************************

Less than three weeks to go! You don't want to see how upside down my house looks right now. It's crazy - cutting the whole house down to six suitcases. Furniture has been going out the door left right & center - I've been giving it all away because most of it was given to us (or flea market finds) and I want to pass the 'giving' on....y'know, you don't realize just how much "stuff" you have until you have to actually get rid of it!

We're also short one cat. Cola - the stray black cat from posts a few months back - has gone to a new home... this wasn't really planned - I have one that can't come (if she doesn't have a retirement home before we go, Diane is taking her to stay with her and continue looking) because she's old & very high strung and would never make the trip, but Cola was going to be coming along with us...until my mother called me up and said that a lady she knew was wondering if we might possibly let Cola come to stay with her...turns out this lady had a fifteen year old cat that she had to euthanize a few months ago due to her (the cat) having a lot of incurable medical problems (comes with old age) and she knew that a) we were moving and b) we had a beautiful black male cat....exactly the kind of cat she really wanted to be a new member of her home.... I talked with Cindy about it and she said yes, let Cola go and live with this lady. He'll have a wonderful home there - she'll spoil him to bits, give him everything he ever wanted... They picked him up the other day and we exchanged emails so that she can send Cindy some pictures of Cola in his new home.

It's always hard to let a cat go - but we've done this before. Yes, our cats are family members - but at the same time, we often have WAY too many cats here because I have a terrible habit of attracting strays...so, in some ways it's a bit like a cat foster home. Cola wasn't "supposed" to be here - he was cat number six! - but he turned up here and we couldn't very well turn him away....I guess we were sorta his foster family for a few months - now he has a lovely "forever home" and he'll do great there!

7 comments:

Mrs. Darling said...

I hope you still keep blogging when you move. I must have missed something. Why is everything down to 6 suitcases? I guess I'll have to run through old posts and see what the deal is! :)

molytail said...

Oh I will for sure! :-)

The "why" - is because we're flying! The kids and cats and I, and we get a luggage allowance of six 50lb suitcases between the three of us, plus the two giant cat kennels that also go under the plane...

The house we're renting out there is totally furnished (right down to the dishes) so we don't need most of our stuff anyway...which is good, because of the six suitcases thing LOL ...

A few things are being stored with family members, but for the most part it's "goodbye stuff!" ...it actually feels pretty good to get rid of a lot of things...I'm a terrible pack rat who loves flea markets and yard sales...not a good combo LOL ...

Mrs. Darling said...

Wow that does sound exciting. Sometiems I get a bee in my bonnet to just move away and start a whole new life. We've lived in this house 26 years. I cant imagine reducing this half acre and 3000 sq ft home to 6 suitcases! It would make life easier though on many levels! :)

molytail said...

wow, 26 years? As a former military brat & foster kid, the idea of living in the same house for that long is mind boggling! Of course, many people do... it's just not common in my family LOL ....

It's actually weird - there are things that I've been dragging around for YEARS that I had this strange emotional attachment to...until now... letting them go has been sort of an odd "freeing" experience... strange LOL

At Home on the Rock... said...

Happy Birthday, Christopher!! Wow, double digits!

You can do it....I know reducing and packing seems so daunting, but keep the end goal in mind --- makes it all worth while!

Anonymous said...

lol, my friend. Six suitcases is definitely the way to go. Now when you get there the first thing you have to do [no not rush out the door & admire your freezing view] is put the computer back to gether & blog ~ or just e~mail *me* if you prefer.

Hey, I am excited for you. And lady you are going to have to e~mail me anyway because I am hanging onto a parcel waiting on those new address detail. lol, well, that's my excuse anyway! (((hugs)))m'dear.

molytail said...

end goal end goal end goal *chanting* LOL

heh....I'm actually not taking my computer - can't pack it in the suitcase, too heavy...I'll be on my cousin's laptop for a while and then I'm gonna hire my brother - the ultimate computer guy - to build me one of his awesome faster-than-a-speeding-bullet glow in the dark creations. *drool* ...He builds 'em from scratch - well, okay, from wires and circuits and computer stuff LOL ..but he knows pretty much all there is to know about them, so if I can get a custom built creation I'll be singing. (Cover your ears) *grin*