Friday, May 2, 2008

Off they go again....

Well, today was the day. Back to Alberta they go... blaaaaaaah. Eh, you do what you have to do, right? ...We have a purpose and an end-goal and it's important that we keep it in mind...it still sucks though.

The boys were home for ten days (well, almost) and while I've poked my nose on here to read the blogs of others, I didn't do any posting of my own (with the exception of the post about the carnival) because time was short - I read and replied around sometimes, but it takes a while to do posts of my own because I'm a photo junkie and can't post without them. *grin* (hmm, visual learner? LOL) ....With such a short amount of time with Blair, we treasured every moment of it. . . . .

We were up early this morning to make sure everything was set - their flight was leaving at 12:20, so we had to be at the airport by 11am, meaning out of town by 10am (this time we were working with the airport on the island - not way the heck over in Halifax!) .....


He had to snuzzle his baby first. ;-) ...He grumbles and growls about the number of cats (and other critters in the past) that I seem to gather, but he's a big ol' softie and loves them too. Angel is his sook!




Then it was off to fetch Norm (we couldn't all fit in one car - each of our cars will only sit 5 and there was 6 of us) ....




And then to fetch Diane from her workplace - she works at a Montessori center.



Then we were off, kids munching away on snacks in the backseat...



Now, Diane and I had a bit of fun - see, both of the boys have cell phones out there because they need them and they've got these really cool ones that do all sorts of stuff... they take photos, have maps, play games, play music, etc etc etc...and...they text!! Okay, so apparently this isn't all that unique, I've been told, but it was for me...see, I've used a cell phone maybe twice?? in my life and I'd never ever "texted" anyone - the cells I used were several years ago and they didn't do that. I was very amused with the whole texting thing and took whatever chances I had to snag Blair's phone and play. *grin*



(Excuse the black blurb - Blair's cell # was there and I didn't want it just 'out there' LOL ...the times are wrong since he still had it set on Alberta time)

Diane had Norman's in the car and we were amusing ourselves texting back and forth as we went down the highway - the boys were driving, no worries! I wouldn't even TALK on one while driving, never mind while typing!



Heh - the second line down was me and the top was her. We won't really be getting them because they're too expensive and we don't *need* them...but we kept teasing the boys that we would. ;-)

(It was such fun to play with though!! I even figured out how to download music - the phones go right on the internet!!)

45 minutes or so down the highway and we arrived at the airport and unloaded the boys and their gear...




Then a while of waiting around...something fairly common to airports...



The kids found a wooden bead table to play with....



...I don't know if this is I love you! or RAWR I'll get you! ...but it's cute!




A sleepy Norm - either that or my flash got him. :-P




Blair taking a picture of me taking a picture of him taking a picture of me taking a picture of ... you get the idea. ;-)



(Wasn't the first time we did that LOL)


Boarding call came.... Christopher with hugs for Daddy....





Diane with hugs for Norm....



Miss Cinders with hugs for Daddy....





And off they went into the secured area where we weren't allowed to go... we stood and waved at them there for a while (looking rather goofy to others, I suppose..most people say goodbye there and leave..we're weird. *grin* ) and then went down to another area where you can watch the plane take off...




Here's their plane turning around to taxi out....they were on that side, far as I know.



......there they go.....




Right now, they're somewhere in the air between Toronto and Edmonton (Blair gave me a quick call when they landed in Toronto - they had only 25 minutes between flights)...they get into Edmonton at about 8pm our time (5pm their time out there) and then they have to do that long drive in reverse, back up the 63 to Fort McMurray (at least this time it isn't snowing and the highway shouldn't be "travel not advised" - won't be quite as long a drive)... their tickets went right to Fort Mac, but because of the whole mess before, Norm's car is in Edmonton (in the long term parking lot) and they have to pick it up.

Diane and the kids and I wandered around for a bit down there before driving home - we spent a few minutes in a thrift shop (I found the cutest denim jumper thing with Eeyore on it!) and then hit the grocery where we can get veggie sushi (she's not a vegetarian like I am, but she likes the veggie version anyway) and I found this interesting looking "seaweed salad"....



It was slimy and odd - and delicious. Miss Cinders disagrees (she tried a teeny bit) though. ;-)


Tomorrow, it's back to Charlottetown again - Cindy is taking the Red Cross Babysitter's Course with some other homeschoolers...this was originally scheduled for Apr 26th, but the guy running it had to change it to tomorrow. She's quite excited! :-) ...Diane is coming along - we drop Cindy off for that and then she and I and Christopher are heading to my very first used curriculum fair! I've never been to one - we only started hs'ing last year - and you bet I'm hitting this one. I have several things in mind that I'm hoping I might find... *fingers crossed* .... After that, who knows. Somehow, we have to find enough to do for the whole day down there because it makes no sense to drive all the way home (45 min) and then back again to fetch Cindy - not with the crazy price of fuel these days!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Feel for ya. We did this when our man was working on the oil rigs in the Simpson Desert. Gone 3 back 1 ~ if we were lucky. Made him quit before the kids came along. He tried going back once afyer we moved to the island but the boys went ape & I was a cot case & he missed us all too much. Didn't work.

Not sure about that salad thing. Looks kinda interesting but I'm not big on seaweed.

molytail said...

I wish Blair could find one of the jobs that does the 28 on, week off type of thing - there's some guys working that and the companies actually fly them home for the week they're off...instead of this whole 3-4 months at a time thing....

I didn't know you'd had the same sort of experience! <3

and hah, yeah I'm pretty much game to try *anything* as long as it isn't meat. *grin*