Friday, February 22, 2008

Korean meal & a ski trip

Miss Cinders was quite proud of her Korean BBQ'd hamburgers that she made the other night - I didn't have any myself (I'm a vegetarian - I had a veggie burger with the others) but they smelled quite good and I told her that if we make them again sometime (as she wants to do that) that I'd have to pick up some veggie ground round and add the same ingredients to that to make a vegetarian version :-)

Here she is chopping up the scallions and regular onions - she's wearing gloves because the last time she cut onions, she rubbed her eyes and it stung (of course), so she figured she'd remember not to do that if she wore gloves....



And here is Christopher, Cindy, and our friend Diane (she came for supper) enjoying their Korean BBQ'd hamburgers at the "low table with cushions" that we came up with....



So it doesn't look very authentic, I know ;-) But you work with what you have and she had a great time cooking the meal, talking about everything she learned about Korea and explaining why we had to sit on the floor like that! Christopher was pretty tired though - that's why he looks half asleep. (He also prefers his burgers without the buns)


*************************************


Yesterday was the annual ski trip organised by APSEA - we went last year and we sure weren't gonna miss it this year :-)

The kids had a blast - though Christopher was a bit uncertain about this whole skiing thing ... last year he pretty much just practiced some standing and moving a little, this year he actually got to ski down the bunny hill ---- I carried him with me going up the tow rope on there because he can't hold it and tow himself, and then he skiied down holding onto one of my hands and one of his TA's (his assistant from school who'd come with us)...he thought that was great fun! I was skiing with him and holding hands, so I wasn't able to get a picture of him going down.. I have a few others though...the lady in the red/blue/cream snowsuit is his TA....










The last one is inside the lodge - he was being his usual silly self ;-)



He got to try out the "sit-ski" after as well - I didn't get a picture of him in it, but here's one snagged from the 'net that looks a lot like the ones they had there...



It's a specially designed piece of equipment for disabled skiers and they have a few of them there and they were available as needed for APSEA kids to use. He quite enjoyed that, as it was very sled-like to him :-)


Miss Cinders and I got to spend some time skiing together as well, while Christopher hung out with his TA and APSEA itinerant (both very lovely ladies whom he adores)...



It was a wee bit chilly up on that lift!

She wanted her father to see her skiing, so we made some videos for him - one on the chair lift and then two while skiing down some easy hills -- y'know, skiing while holding a camera running ain't the easiest thing in the world LOL

**grrr. It's not cooperating with my videos at the moment. I'll have to try uploading them again later - or link to them on google video when I have them there. **


Now all day today, I heard "Can we go skiing again?? Can we?? Can we?? I LOVE IT!!" LOL

I love it too - I skied a lot as a kid (school trips) and always enjoyed it, but after the age of 13, I didn't ski again until last year at the APSEA ski day... it's a bit like riding a bike though, you don't really forget....

I'll have to take her out there again before the season is done - there's no telling with the weather here what kind of winter we have left...

>^..^<

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brrrrr!!!! I've skated but never skied. Looks like fun if only it didn't involve snow ~ cold, wet stuff, snow.

molytail said...

oh it's a LOT of fun! Our hill here is kinda pathetic in terms of size (being a rather flat island and all LOL) but it's fun - and actually, smaller is better for the kids anyway ... but yes, cold and wet, very!